Wednesday, April 12, 2006

conversations in the kitchen

you

with your earthy focus
ask me (daily)
why i do not
use my beautiful voice
or make use of the
dance i have longed
to perfect
to express my feelings

i twist a strand
of hair around my fingers
and tell you (daily)
that I am thirty-four going on six
and I need to get this
off my chest before i do

you

with your inexhaustable urgency
ask me if i think
i'm going to live forever

don't be daft, i tell you
that is why god gave me
the hips and legs of
an eternal sixteen year old
and a voice that grows
more rich with age

he knew i was going to be
slightly delayed

9 comments:

velvetgunther said...

beautiful all around, from what I gather

Capegirl said...

i thank you. sometimes those who love you do not understand where you are or why you need to be there. often it does not fit in with their expectations or own aims. 'tis ok. sometimes you don't know where they are either. there's times you just need to be what you are. and be ok with that despite the naysayers.

Anonymous said...

lucky lovely lady.. ;o)

camera shy said...

"Funny... I thought that you've _been_ using your beautiful voice,"

i have to agree with grumble
your writing is
wonderful

Russell CJ Duffy said...

delicious.
the poem that is and not your legs.
i'm sure your legs are delicious too and before i dig myself an even bigger hole i think i'd better stop.
great poem though.

floots said...

nice one
coincidence
i have the maturity of a sixteen year old
(does that count) :)
glad you're still posting
i was one of those who thought it was a farewell
cheers

{illyria} said...

the simple verses speak volumes. and i know exactly where you're coming from.

Natalia L. Rudychev said...

Beautiful poem. It opens a window that shows relationships with the world, with the loved one and ultimately with the self. I enjoyed it.

Blue Athena said...

This is just so lovely! :)