Thursday, January 26, 2006

cape town burns

the mountains that surround my city are on fire. it will not stop tonight. table mountain, lion's head, signal hill, are lit up like out of control fireworks.

here is a link to some recent pictures.

there are 18 in all and they are worth looking at to see the extent of the blaze. In case you may worry, I live about 40km out of the city, so I am fine. However I know several people who are involved in trying to get things under control. In fact they are my whole circle of friends. The last I heard most of the residents in the area have been evacuated and stand at the foot of the mountain gazing up at the blaze in absolute silence. I do not know where they will sleep tonight.

6 comments:

floots said...

glad you are ok
my thoughts are with those less fortunate

Anonymous said...

thanks floots, last I heard those I know are ok. there was only one mortality, a 65 year old woman, from Britain. she burned in the fire. apparently a man she was with flicked a cigarette into the dry grass which is all over the mountain at this time of year, he's been arrested they say. the wind has dropped on the ravine side of the moutain but it's still raging on the other side. one of the men I used to work with Dalton, is on that side, so we're waiting to hear how it's going there...thanks for the well wishes, i love my mountain.

{illyria} said...

glad you're okay, honey. but that fire sounds awful.

tao1776 said...

Wow...incredible pictures! Did you ever read Wilbur Smith? I once read every book he had ever written. Most of his story lines center on or around Table Mountain and S Africa beginning with the first Europeon settlers.

Anonymous said...

yeah those pics are almost too much when it's your city and friends.... but some good shots! yeah sure Wilbur Smith...when I was younger I read quite a few. very well researched books filled with skulduggery! he used to live just over the mountain from me, in Camps Bay I believe...a recluse by all accounts. can't say if he's still alive?

tao1776 said...

yeah, he's still writing I believe. I read every book he wrote, about 30+ until the mid ninties. Since then I read a few.