Wednesday, January 18, 2006

likes and unlikes

tonight I saw a black rhino in Kenya and men were bending over it sawing its beautiful horn off and you asked poachers? and I said no they are trying to stop it being killed by poachers who are too poor and stupid to know the difference and you said and what can we do about it? i don't know but it's a shocking shame and it makes me weep stinging tears and i feel like i want to blaze a bullet through their brains and castrate them and sell their penis dust on the black market so men can feel virile and soothe their egos and you laughed and said that is so like you and there's a market for penis dust and i said it breaks my heart and i feel sad for that magnificent animal and for what it feels lying in the dirt being hacked so that it can feel one more heartbeat and you said that is life and there is not much to be done about it and i said that is so like you to be so unlike me about rhino horns

5 comments:

camera shy said...

the world
is a safe place
despite its crimes
in
your heart

and we all fit
there

dont we

tammy said...

I like this because not only does it examine the human relationship to animals but it also examines our relationships to each other. there is beauty in your words even when you are describing the terrible act of a rhino losing its horn. take care.

Anonymous said...

blog this> I know you have a wonderful heart ..thanks for that.

tammy> I'm glad you saw that Tammy..because I'm not sure I did when I wrote it! sometimes I see things better through the eyes of others. thanks for that!

sarah said...

the horn made of hair.

poor rhino. why should it HAVE to lose it's horn. (sigh)

Anonymous said...

well it doesn't need to- except for the fact that is does if you get me. Those who poach in Kruger Park for example are mostly poor folk trying to make money to eat. I can understand that. The real problem is the syndicates who pay them to do the dangerous work and the asian and other markets that fuel the flames with ancient (erroneous) claims about the aphrodisiac potential of animal body parts. and don't even get me started on bear BILE farming...sheesh. we're morons.